My first idea for my cover was of the Disturbed main vocalist, David Draiman. I decided to have a lot of different fonts, which wasn't exactly a good idea - a magazine only had to have a maximum of 3 or 2 fonts. I was using 4. I also came to like the idea of the large 'D' as a link to his names, both of which start with a 'D'. I didn't exactly think I would need to cover the entire background with the artist.
I then decided to enlarge the smaller photo to stretch out over the entire page. It did look good - however, as it was not my own image, I was not allowed to keep it as the main picture of the front cover. Despite this, I did place down a photo that I had shot myself and edited using Photoshop. This was to add to the Disturbed feeling - their mascot is a creature, which they simply call 'the Guy'. I tried and more or less received the same effect for my own version of the Guy. Additionally, I added Draiman's quote, which I found on google. I noticed eventually that there was simply too much colour on the page - it needed to be more simple, something like 2 max colours on a page and likely those which are repeated throughout the whole magazine.
This was the edit of my Front Cover that did not have an artist. I wanted to play around with the colours, see which ones fit and then put in my artist after I had chosen the right ones. I also changed the colour of the logo, as on this background didn't really fit. I changed the whole font, so that it fit with the others, making the font of the entire page one of two, which was an effective change. Additionally changed the subject and what info the magazine would include.
I then finally took a few pictures of the artist I was actually going to write about. I had some help and eventually put down the picture I wanted. I added more fonts, most notably from the Dafont website, and changed the colours - white, black and orange were now the only ones around. I used the orange for my logo, which I also changed in font style, and it became my official colour, the one that made my magazine unique and I even used it for some of my writing. I kept the black and white for most of the writing, however. One interesting feature I added was of the black boxes that unevenly came behind the white writing, making for an excellent, eye-catching design - a more of 'in your face' feature that really stood out and made it look like a proper magazine. I did the same for some of the features included in my magazine and I used my iconic orange to neatly surround them.
Finally, I decided to take off the orange off the Avenged Sevenfold as I wanted some normal writing on the page and changed the writing so it had more of an 'in your face' expression, unlike the calmly inviting one that it replaced. This then became my finished, official Front Cover for my Rapsodize monthly music magazine.
This allowed me to express my ideas that I had whilst making my Front Cover. It also allowed me to imagine several alternatives, should the topic or the artist need a change.






No comments:
Post a Comment